Thursday, February 07, 2008

W is for Woman

Yes that's right woman. What does it mean to be a woman. What are the desires of a woman's heart and why are women the way they are? Don't ask me because even though I am one I can't answer these questions any better than you can.



A dear friend of mine just attempted her last chance for having a child through In Vitro fertilisation. Unfortunately the attempt didn't take. They already have one amazing child through this method for which they are very thankful for, but it's costs are so high that they decided that this would be their last try for another child. I don't know if they have considered the prospects of adoption or not but I know that they could be so blessed by it (just as the child would be).

In reflecting on their situation and trying to put myself in her shoes I wonder why it is that women want to have children so badly. There's lots of reasons that people have for having children:

- sharing life
- they make life interesting
- child labor (just kidding, sort of)
- laughter
- loving to love
- you get to act like a kid again
- a squeeze around the next (I love kid hugs)
- fulfillment of husband and wife
- producing a blood line (passing on the family name)
- it's what we're made for (among other things)
- entertaining
- the experience of being pregnant (and it's closeness to God's creation)

While I know that there are many other reasons for having children I don't think that having your own biological children is the only way to experience the joy that children bring to our lives. There are so many many children out there who need to be loved, taught, and cared for because their own biological parents can't take care of them (for whatever reason). I wonder if more of these children aren't adopted into families because our reasons for having children are so messed up that it's not so much about the child but about fulfilling something in ourselves.



Don't worry I'm not thinking of having/adopting kids any time soon (I'd have to be married first), but these are just thoughts that I've been turning over and over in my head this week. I love children dearly and hope to have my own some day (in one capacity or another) just not now. I am surrounded by children everyday where I work as it is, and they are more than enough for me to love on right now.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
- James 1:27

1 comment:

mommajeane said...

This is one of my favorite verses and you know how dear these children are to our hearts...