Saturday, December 27, 2008

Pops....


While this picture was not taken today it's one that I wanted to share earlier but didn't. On Christmas Day my dad asked me to help him out for a minute with something. I'm not always the most willing person to leave family time (my mom's family was over and we were getting ready to play games). I went though and helped him work on a broken pipe for one of our tenants. It had frozen and broke a couple of days before and the weather had been too cold to get to it properly so the first good opportunity had been after Christmas dinner.

Whenever Dad asks me to help him out with something I will more than likely be standing around watching him doing whatever needs to be done for most of the time and feeling as if I'm not being of much assistance. Growing up this was extremely frustrating and tried my patience a lot, but I've gotta say that it's taught me a lot too. Sometimes people just need you to be there to be an encouragement to them, and other times they need you to be able to help them figure something out with fresh eyes. Although I don't feel like a very patient person sometimes, I've had people tell me before that they're amazed at how patient I can be (mostly my students parents when they see me in the classroom with twenty 4yr. olds). I have my Dad to thank for that. Not to mention a God who helps me be patient even when I don't want to be. If I couldn't give Him my frustrations and troubles I'd be the most impatient, irritated person you could meet.

2 comments:

The Lourceys said...

Can I just say that I completely understand? This is hilarious but so true. I'm not so good at being patient yet but thanks for encouraging me to be.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I love that we have such a unique experience of having two such very similar dads. And I appreciate your thoughts here... it IS so difficult to be patient. And to be kind in that patience. Like Emily, I understand how you were feeling as you stood there with your dad... and have experienced it myself a few times. It's nice to see that you used that time to take pictures and reflect on the gift of patience. :)