Monday, October 16, 2006

So little time....

I'm a college student going to school for Art. I really want to teach. It's something that I've wanted to do since I was in kindergarten. However I'm into my fifth year of college with still another year and a half of school to go in order to get my Art Teaching Certification. There's so many things in my life that I want to be able to do but school takes a lot of time and energy. An art degree in particular takes an inordinate amount of out of class time to work on projects.

I've been considering getting just the Art degree and forgoing the Teacher Certification part simply to save time so I can be done. I can still teach at a private school with just a bachelor's degree and really that's what I want to do but would I be limiting myself too much by doing that and is another year really that much longer to have to wait (YES! and no).

Time has been something that I've always struggled with because I am something of a procrastinator (probably only the worlds biggest). It's a part of me that I've never really liked and always wanted to change but haven't yet. When I procrastinate I'm stealing time from other things that I could be doing that would be more productive and enjoyable if only I let myself do them. Instead I feel guilty because I don't have the highest priority things done yet so I put everything off until they are done and spend a lifetime trying to accomplish them.

I just feel sometimes (more like all the time) that there are so many other things that I'd rather be doing. I want to be more involved in ministry and with my church. I want to share a house with 4-5 of my friends and see what that kind of a community can be like. I also want to be working with children in some sort of school setting. Whether it be at a private school or working with homeschoolers in my own home. Whatever, I want to share my life with those kids and my love for Christ, as well as teach them about art and creative living. I want to study the Bible intensively and have God's words written on my heart. I want to travel all over the place seeing places I've never seen before and experiencing God's creation in all of them. I want to spend more time in nature and less time in front of a computer. I also want to build stronger relationships with the people that I know and love and be someone to support them in their endeavors.

I've tried to do many of these things but I'm always stealing away time from one or the other and never really fully devoting myself. Trying to find some sort of happy medium or achieve some "harmony" is just out of my reach, or so it seems.

Lord help me to do your will in everything I do.


To cheer this post up a bit I want to share this picture with you that I took on a recent bike ride to a friends house. The colors in this picture are a favorite combination of mine and I really want to work in this palette on a quilt sometime (if I ever make the time to do it). That won't probably be for a while though. I've never been one to choose a favorite color but I do have favorite color combinations and this would be one of them. My roommate probably gets sick of me telling her how giddy I get over certain color combos. I had a professor once ask everyone in the class to share one thing that makes them insanely happy and the only thing I could think of at the time was COLOR.

Well I'm going to stop procrastinating now and go finish some homework!

2 comments:

Symphony said...

Harmony, you are silly and I love you very much. You are a great person and you try your hardest at whatever you do. School will be over soon and if I know you like I think I do, then I know you are not a quitter! You have yourself so spread out doing so many different things. Take a step back and focus on one thing at a time, acheive goals, set boundaries or requirements when it comes to school and fun activities. Pace yourself. I know you will survive. And should you ever need to have a pity party where there is ice cream, cheese puffs and really cheesy movies involved just give me a ring and I will be there. I hope you have a glorious day and night. -Your brat

Symphony said...

Harmony ¿donde estas? Cuando vuelves a mi casa? Buenos tardes. ... Hi how ya doin' that's super... I hate school... January 12th! mark your calendario! I graduate!