Sunday, December 16, 2007

S is for Sick, Snow, Salary, and Singing......

I've been dreadfully sick this past week. I was so sick I was referred to as the tissue monster by a few. I finally feel like I'm getting toward the end of it though!!! It's been a busy couple of weeks working on Christmas projects with my kids at work and trying to keep up with the Christmas stuff at home as well. I finished my class at school in Art History II and I will be starting my last class tomorrow (after this one I have my degree!). I'm both excited and apprehensive about the class I start tomorrow. It's called Culturally Diverse Literature and it sounds really interesting, but it's an on-line class and I'm not always the most discipline with school work so hopefully I'll be able to stay on the ball with this class and not get behind at all.


Walking inside this evening from running errands was the first time that I actually felt like looking forward to winter! I've felt kind of saddened by the coldest thus far but while walking in I could almost sense the snow. I got really excited and felt the urge to go for a walk in the cold and blowing wind. The moon was shining and the clouds moving fast. In less than a minute there were snow flurries blowing around everywhere. It won't amount to anything on the ground but being there when it first started was very exciting! I can't wait to see the creek freeze over and snow piled high around the banks (picture below is from last year). I know I'm supposed to be an adult and not like these sort of things, but honestly I get just as excited about going sledding and snowball fights as my kids at work do. I can't wait!



Some exciting news for me at work is that I'm going to be starting in a new full time position where I work after the first of the year! Yay, my first big kid job where I'll be getting a Salary and Health Insurance. My cup is overflowing with the goodness of God. I'll be working with a wonderful woman and some amazing Pre-K kids that I've been blessed to get to know over the last few months. This means that I won't be seeing my school age kids as much and that saddens me, because they are so creative and interesting to get to know. I know that the teachers that are still with them care about them a lot and will continue to be there for them.

Last night, our family on my mom's side gets together almost every year to go down to this small little church (hardly bigger then my parents bedroom and living room combined) called 'The Woods' and sings. Usually Symphony sings, Melody plays something Mom plays a piano piece, her sister and children do lost and my grandparents will play a piano duet. This year we went but it was a bit different. Symphony's in Texas, Melody was sick, David had to work and Grandma wasn't feeling well. We had the gathering and Mom, Lauryl and Lauren sang and played and I SANG! I never sing in front of people, unless it's worship or fun with friends who I don't care if they hear me sing. Singing in front of a large group of people that you don't know a song that you only just learned the day before is a bit of a scary thing for me. I sang but I was a shaky nervous wreck the entire time. Just a few reminders for myself:

- Don't sing a song you don't know very well in front of a group of people
- Don't agree to sing a song you don't know very well in front of a group of people you don't know when asked the day before (okay the week before but we didn't get to practice until the day before)
- Don't agree to sing a song you don't know very well in front of a group of people you don't know when asked the week before and you have the sniffles
- Relax! It's not worth getting nervous over.

6 comments:

The Lourceys said...

Harmony, I love when you update! I love this whole blogging thing because we get to know what's going on in each other's life without ever picking up a phone (which I'm really bad at) and probably even more than we would on a phone anyway because we wouldn't say so much about how we felt but what we did. Congrats on your new job! That must be so exciting! And in finishing school! YAY! Ok, so maybe you girls could make a trip down here soon. Rob and I come back on the 28th. Anytime after that is fine. Talk to you soon. Love.

chrisa4357 said...

Harmony,
One of my funniest memories with you guys is singing at Grannie Wilson's funeral. I know that it will seem horrible to other people but do you remember how cracked up we all got while we were singing? I'm laughing just thinking about it. Anyway, good for you singing in front of people. And if you guys come to NC you better come see us too or we'll meet up in Raleigh or something. OK? Have a merry Christmas!!!

relying on God said...

I'd love to come down and visit you guys! I'll talk to melody and symphony to see if they would join me but send me directions just in case (hnwilson@myactv.net). I wouldn't go all the way down without seeing you both!

What's really funny is that I actually told that story to my friends the other night (about grannies funeral). It's one of my favorites to tell:) love you guys!

Symphony said...

why can't you guys just let Grannie's funeral stay in the past? Do you realize that to this day I am embarassed when you talk about it! I was ten, give me a break!

Julie Bungard said...

I guess I will have to hear about that story sometime. I remember when I was a kid and your grandpa would make us sing in front of a whole congregation. I was always scared in my boots. I hated it too! But, now that I am older, I do have experience being in front of people that others didn't experience and I am glad for it.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Wow!!! I can't even remember that incident at Grannie's funeral - though everyone insists it happens. We had a big family laugh about it this morning - not at you Symphony - but at how our mom got onto Ashleigh and blamed the whole thing on her.

I agree with Emily - I love blogging because it connects all of us!